Thursday, February 2, 2012

Hobart 500549 Auto Arc 130 Wire Feed MIG Welder On Sale | Lupe ...

I am used to a Lincoln 220 mig welder at my previous work, I actually wanted a little bigger welder than this one, but this one I could afford. Hobart 500549 Most of my experience at work was welding exhaust thickness metal so I figure the Auto Arc would get it done. I made the mistake of buying the solid wire .035 with using the gas, this thickness of wire is out of the specs and won’t weld unless the welder is set on power 4 and at slow wire feed setting of around 12 . I changed that wire out to .024″ inch solid wire and the welder runs great, perfect welding is possible for this little machine. The only drawback is I now wished I got a 140amp machine just for a little more power, so if you can afford it go for a 140 Holbart. But for the money this little Machine can’t be beat, and I expect it to be fine for up to about 1/4″ inch of metal. It says made on the USA right on the front and is a fine machine and a great bargain for the money. Of course a better machine can be had for extra money, like more power or continuous settings of power. But make no mistake great welding can be done with this the Auto Arc 130. If you want a slight upgrade over the Auto Arc 130, get the Hobart 140 or the Lincoln 140 or the Miller 140. Be sure to get a auto darkening helmet, good deals can be found, I got a great deal on one from a harbor freight store, really helps your welding ability to have a decent helmet. After getting my wirefeeder, I set it up and tried using it on one of my outside outlets. I set it up, which only took a minute. I will say I’ve been using innershield for a long time, so I’m sure it might be a little intimidating to people not used to it. A tip: Use needle nose pliers to grip the wire and feed it into the rollers- and don’t let go! Anyway, I set the heat on high, then proceded to set the wire speed. Worked good, but after about 10 seconds, it kicked off. I went in and checked the breaker, which had kicked, and it was a 15 amp. A friend needed a trailer repaired, and I took it to his house and it worked great. I’m assuming he has a 20amp breaker. I used it again today on another project, and it did fine at that garage, too. I bought a 20A breaker for my side yard outlet, so it should be good here. As far as the welding, I was really surprised that it did as well as it does. The wire is tiny, (.030), but it feeds fast, and seems to burn in really well. I have to hold a close arc and move more slowly than I’m used to with 64/thou flux core, but that’s to be expected. I’m really happy with it, and aside from putting down a barely 1/8″ pass, it’s almost as good as my little gas DC welder. I’m a retired Ironworker, and have had to weld paper thin to 6″ thick, and this beats any 110v innershield that I’ve used.

. Bookmark the

.

0 comments:

Post a Comment