Sunday, March 25, 2012

150amp welder on gates? - MIG Welding Forum

The key question is does your (insert make) 150 actually give you 150 amps?
Manufacturers are renowned for exaggerating the capabilities of their machines.
Personally I don't like running any machine flat out, so another question is would yours be happy with this?

I have a Lincoln 210 fitted with a Binzel 250 amp torch, that on it's top voltage setting ( 8 ) give me 185 amps.

The pic below shows 50 x 10 flat with 20 dia bar passing though it. (20.5 hole)
The weld was done on setting 6 (21v), 0.8 wire, and CO2 gas, and probably equates to a 150 amp weld.

I'd do a test piece.
Weld a 16 dia bar to an 8mm bar and see what it looks like.

Personally I don't think you gain much by prepping a standard fillet, as getting into the bottom of a 45 deg prep
is harder to do than a standard 90 deg joint.

Just my 2p.

Cheers,
Paul G

__________________
Water fed torches are cool.

0 comments:

Post a Comment