Friday, March 30, 2012

Weldspares 140amp Arc Welder - MIG Welding Forum

Hi Folks, I could do with a little help

Under my bench I have my late Dads' old Arc welder, he loved it to bits and did a lot of small stuff with it. I'm guessing it's late 70's early 80's and is a rebadging jobbie from Weldspares, I've seen plenty of others that look the same thing with different names. It's in very good condition and well looked after.

Now before we start:

I know it's a buzzbox
I know it's worth nothing
For most jobs I'll be using my Clarke 135EN mig
But having a stick welder could be usefull for outside work, my other half keeps horses and there is an endless supply of busted gates etc.

It fires up fine, and will put a bead down, most of the rods are pretty old so I'm guessing are past their best, even though they've been in the airing cupboard for ten years!
But the big problem is the adjustment knob for amps is jammed solid, so it's stuck on 120ish. Before I take it all apart, what am I looking for? Is it just a lack of use, I do remember him muttering that the bl**dy welders packed up eons ago, so it may be something more sinister?

This is a nostalgia thing, I know I could buy a newer one for not much money, but it's not about that, I'd just like to use my ol Dads welder

So any ideas on how to free up the setting adjustment, if it's any help the tel tale seems to have dissappeard from it's window, all help much appreciated

Cracking forum this, I've learnt so much, couldn't have got to where I am without it!

Cheers

Steve

0 comments:

Post a Comment