Monday, March 12, 2012

Workshop wired wrong? Welder wired wrong? - MIG Welding Forum

I'm not sure if this is the right section, but I'd assume so.

I recently got my welder up and running and its welds perfect....when it doesnt trip the breaker.

Its 220amp welder (Lincoln Electric) and It uses a 32amp 240v plug. I installed an appropriate socket by teeing off the ring main in my workshop, which has a 32amp breaker at the box, no more than 10 metres away at the main feed to the building.

When I weld it depends what I do, but if i say, tack a piece in position first then go to weld, it will 30% of the time, trip the breaker (about setting 4 of 6 power-wise on the welder, more-so maybe on the higher settings) 30% weld itself to the nib and trip mid-weld after a few inches and 30% never be a problem.

Any suggestions as to what I've got wrong here as aside the welder I've never had a problem with electrics in the workshop and the wiring is maybe only 4 years old.

Is my breaker box too low a rating? Or can someone suggest another cause?

Jordan

0 comments:

Post a Comment